Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Three Sources

I've been taunted recently.

I had a three day weekend for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. It was nice, I actually had a weekend. There were rumors, plenty of rumors from news stations and from my fellow teachers that there just might be an ice storm on Tuesday morning that would close the schools and give me a fourth day. I know, I know... I just was off for two weeks for winter holiday. I know a lot of people didn't have MLK off. I know I should be grateful for what I have. I know I like my job. I know... but having the prospect dangled in front of you only to have it rudely taken away by a man on the radio:

"Despite weather predicting freezing rain, sleet, and ice last night the roads in Houston city limits are dry and clear." It was unwelcomed news.

I went to work to enjoy half empty classes. I gave quizzes and passed out worksheets. It was great fun. The kids asked me to check the weather at the end of every class. Thirty-two all night kids, we're teetering on the possibility, but I wouldn't count on it.

Alas I was awakened this morning to hear that within most of Houston city limits there was no ice. That rude man on the radio was giving me information I was prepared to hear. I went to the bathroom and returned to hear the unexpected news "all HISD schools are closed, as well as private schools..." but those didn't matter. The man said all HISD schools. That can't be right, HISD never closes schools for a few ice patches in the city. They'll tell us all to come in, half the kids will have convinced their parents they live in Waller (or something) and they will have failed to turn on the heat. I was supposed to spend my day half-teaching in a parka. HISD never closes schools.

So I check my sources. This is, for instance, the best website on the web right now. Then at six another source came, the HISD automatic phone system called to alert me to my full glee.

Yipeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NH has inches of ice on trees. Does Merrimack cancel school? No. Two of the schools in the district have no power or heat. Does Merrimack cancel school? No. I loved your earlier post about when all the kids (and staff) thought school should be canceled. Been there. One of the things Ben loved when growing up was snow days. Unexpected FREE time. One of the great ironies of Ben's senior year was in the one year when he didn't have to make up snow days, there were none.