Sunday, January 21, 2007

Fortune Cookies

Last night I went to Pei Wei Asian Diner for some grub. It was tasty, though what I really wanted was a fusion of my friend's meal and my own - yellow curry WITH pineapple. It could have been requested easily enough, but that was neglected. Guess I'll have to add curry block to my shopping list.

I like to make Asian food (this process would be known as cooking). I even learned how to make sushi. I don't make it often because to make it worthwhile you have to make a lot. And eat it fast. So, like tapas, I'll save it for parties. But that wasn't the point of my story.

At the end of every Americanized-Chinese meal there are these cute little cookies known as fortune cookies. I tried to make them once, a process that will not likely be repeated in this lifetime. I wound up with these little shells, some burned, some gooey, and some that didn't have space for me to easily add the fortune. Mine hereafter will come in a box. But that isn't the point of the story either.

My fortune cookie read "Your luck will soon change." That's nice. Then I considered, is that a good thing or a bad thing? I consider one of myself to be pretty gosh darn blessed, but is that luck? Is that fortune? Is that divine providence. I believe in luck in card games, but I also believe in strategy. This cookie was no good. A defect. I ate the perfectly glossed prophecy and stole another one.

It really isn't stealing if they are all sitting in a basket by the utensils.

Fortune cookie number two. The one I always get. "You're nice" phrased in some sort of proverb. This time it was "your happy heart brings joy and peace where there is none." That's nice, but not a fortune. Am I going to have to get out my Magic 8 ball?

So I pocketed another one on my way out. "The best times of your life have not yet been lived." That sounds good, considering I like my life and I wouldn't trade it for anything. If its going to get better even better.

This is still legit because it elucidates the first cookie... ambiguity is something that cannot be tolerated in fortunes. Thats why Nostradamus is still on the rack at grocery stores... be vague and you will be wise.

5 comments:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Ask Ben about fortune cookies.

Unknown said...

Ben has no idea what you are talking about... that's what he says anyway. Shall I torture him for the info? Any preferred methods? I'm pretty creative...

GraniteDad said...

I used to throw a cold glass of water on him while he was in the shower. For various reasons, that's probably not going to work for you.
The problem with torturing Ben is that crazy awful things happen to him regularly, so it's hard to think of something that hasn't happened already. And worse than your conscience would allow. Are you really going to dump 250 pounds of snow on his window from an overpass while he drives under at 55 mph? I didn't think so.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I recall Ben noting a trend in what he always gets for fortunes...

Unknown said...

No I'm not, because I don't know where I'd get 250 pounds of snow.