Monday, January 29, 2007

Out manipulated

I have at least two weddings to go to this summer.

My cousin Margaret is getting married at St. Patrick's in New York. It should be a pretty nice little shindig. That is if she can do anything little. It is at St. Patrick's after all.

This was all set until Neal decided to go off and get married this summer too.

I was given the assignment of making sure the two did not occur on the same weekend. The Wrights can't be in New York and in San Francisco on the same day. I thought about how to tactfully manipulate this. Neal hadn't picked a day yet, so it wasn't as though I was telling him to change the day or anything like that. Sometimes a preventive strike is the best sort.

So I sent Neal an e-mail:

Not that we're invited or anything but I wanted to let you know that between my cousin's June wedding in New York and yours in San Francisco we'll probably pick hers. Not that we like her more, but she's more likely to have an open bar. You did say you were going to be cutting down on "auxiliary costs" like food and alcohol.... but hopefully I'll just be traveling too much to get a summer job. Not that I'm invited or anything.
As always,
Kate

Neal's response was appropriate. He put his wedding the week before my cousin's (see preventive strikes do work sometimes) and to make sure we wouldn't not go to his wedding for some reason like: "I'm going to Mexico" or "I'm in grad school" or "I can't afford to go to three weddings in two months," or anything like that he simply asked Sam and I to be in the wedding.

Funny thing is I didn't think they were going to have attendants; now Neal claims there are twelve. I wonder if plans will change after I get my plane tickets or how bad these dresses might be.

No comments: