Thursday, August 10, 2006

Terrorism

Perhaps one of the primary reasons that Americans are apathetic is a total disconnect from world events. We simply don't perceive the ripples in our isolated world.

For instance the terrorist arrests in London have thus far had the following effects on my household:

1) The war in Iraq and the war in Israel and other conflicts around the world were not being discussed this morning on NPR. My brother and I decided that Al-Queda was going to target the brewery and the Holocaust museum (where we were today) and almost called in "sick."

2) The facilitator of my social studies meeting (the guy that was justifying his job) left the meeting two hours early. When the cat's away the mice wait around until they won't be caught and then they eat the cheese. By leaving the meeting two hours early I drove home in the afternoon rain and did not go to the grocery store. Thus I ate a frozen dinner around eight.

3) The beer Allen was going to bring back from Iowa will have to be shipped.

4) I'm going to be waking up around 5:30AM on Saturday morning to go to my parents place to take them to the airport.

September 11th had slightly more effects on me:

1) Class wasn't cancelled.
2) My professor was asked to recant his statements that Bush "shouldn't be hiding" by the White House office.
3) I rekindled tension between myself and my rooomate.
4) I bought a shower radio.
5) Airports coming home for Thanksgiving were well, horrid.
6) My mom forgot my birthday.
7) I am forced to listen to historical analysis that discusses the "Post 9-11 world" as though history itself can be divided BWTC and AWTC.

I'm really not that self centered; I estimate however that I'm also not normal.

1 comment:

Ben Wyman said...

I stand by the theory that perhaps Americans are, while not well-versed in international affairs, are just as well-versed as any other nation. I think we just think that because every other country knows a whole lot about us.