Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Back to school days

Well I'm back to work. After a summer of laziness, Internet classes, and field trips classes have begun I have to say it isn't all that bad. I'm not really a fan of the start of the year laying down the law bits, but it sure is fun to hand out these stickers.

That's right. Stickers. It started in Algebra, it filtered to the TFA folks and I'll admit I was skeptical. Stickers? I teach high school. Don't those stickers have to be laced with something? But no stickers. Stickers when they answer a question. When they bring their book. When they are on time. When they have a pencil. Until I just take off for not having a book and not having a pencil.

I bought quite a little assortment. The Hello Kitty ones seem to be the most popular, though the boys are tolerant of my monarch butterflies. Imagine a 17 year-old boy almost giddy over his Elmo and Spongebob stickers. Wait till I break out the ladybugs.

Seems some kids disappeared over the summer, and three have come to say goodbye in the past few days. My largest class has 24 students, compared to 32 last year (pre-Katrina). My smallest class has seven. I don't think I'll tell anyone. Thus far it is shaping up to be a pretty nice year. Except for those meetings, sometimes democracy is a sham.

No comments: