Saturday, August 12, 2006

On leafy greens and disjointed conversations...

I went to the grocery store yesterday to purchase the following:

1) mandrin oranges
2) Balsalmic dressing
3) olive oil
4) mixed greens with arugala
5) Gargonzola cheese
6) bagles

My grocery store, much like any other grocery store starts with a walk through the produce section. I was there for arugala, and I was pretty sure it was green. I began looking at the signs, reading each one along with the alternate definitions. It wasn't there. I went to the prepackaged salad section and found no mention of arugala. I proceeded to the organic lettuces (letti?) where I found a sign for arugala. I looked below. There was a bunch named "parsley," a bunch named "cilantro" and on down the line. The signs were clearly out of order. Now knowing (from the sign) that I was looking for a bitter vegetable to balance out my mandrin oranges I went down the aisle.

Collard greans, turnip greans, red leaf lettuce, green leaf letuce, beats, mustard greens, romaine, iceburg. No arugala. I gave up and just got a bunch of "mixed greens" figuring if there were arugala to be found I'd bought it.

~ fast forward to this morning ~


A certain roommate of mine accompanied me to Shipley's. We came back and began to drink our coffee and eat our delectable sweet cakes. He'd made jambalaya last night. I told him about the salad in the fridge. "It has mixed greens... hey do you know what arugala looks like?"

"No, Sara would have known."

"Old Sara or engineering Sarah?"

"Old Sara."

"I guess I won't be hearing much of engineering Sarah anymore"

He then proceeds to update me on well, the deeper things in life than work hours, trips to the lake, cleaning and being burned with chemicals, how many shirts he went though that day. He proceeds to tell me about his hopes and his dreams (left out for fear that one might read these hopes and dreams and know who this certian roommate is), about his loves and hates, his fears and all those things that well make him human.

And my response, "so my salad has oranges and gargonzola cheese with hard salami, you eat it with the Balsalmic vinagarette."

He interupted my train of thought. Jerk.

And just so you know arugala looks like this. It isn't in my mixed greens. Bummer.

No comments: