Saturday, July 07, 2007

Sicko

I hadn't been eagerly anticipating the newest Michael Moore movie. I didn't actually know it existed until one of my dear friends, Rufus (not her real name, but she knows who she is), proposed that we go. You know, cause everyone else in the little Bible study was out of town.

Rufus's husband calls me Kate McArtle. It is, his thing. Rufus thought my name was McArtle until she was watching reruns on cable and said "hey, she's got the same name as Kate!" It is totally understandable.

Anyway. We went to see Sicko. I won't waste my time dissecting the problems of Moore's "random sampling" or trying to identify who the actual villain was or try to explain why Hillary Clinton would promoted as the lone ranger in a fight for universal health care in America. Nor will I postulate what Moore would say if his hero did become president and tabled the issue in favor of spending political capital on more easily won fights.

What I will bring up is this notion that "until me becomes we" the problem won't be solved. Then again, isn't that the fundamental problem of all public policy? Er wait... the cause of misery, strife, and warfare everywhere?

3 comments:

Ben Wyman said...

Who the heck is Kate McArtle?

Assistant Village Idiot said...

the "me becomes we" part has to apply to the receivers as well as the givers to be efficient. Even without that it might be a good thing for the givers to do, but they would have to understand going in that they were going to take a hit.

Kate said...

Kate is the Kate from Kate and Ally, a TV show in the late '80s.