Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Reason to keep teaching...

Today I hosted thirteen of Mr. Pyles' babies. Freshman, except for the two that failed my class last year. They sat in the back and did their worksheets on AIDS in Africa while I did my little lecture about "Who's Who In the Cold War."

You might know about my theory on "keeping it unpredictable" if they think you are crazy enough to do it once in awhile it keeps them guessing. I accused three of the freshman of cheating and had all of them ratting each other out (McCarthism, of course).

Anyhow... possibly one of my favorite things to do is to reinact Khrushchev's 1960 UN interuptions. I even wore my slip on shoes for the occasion. TA made the mistake of asking me why I thought Nikita was crazy, to which he wound up with a shoe on his notes. Repeatedly. He crawled out of his chair and I chased him.

I would have done this without the freshmen there, but I'm certainly glad they were there. Sets the tone for next year.

They didn't ask for a translation, so I think I got my point across.

1 comment:

Greg Sauer said...

Either that, or they were afraid to ask!