Sunday, December 10, 2006

Welcome to the 21st Century, Kate

In the last few weeks I've joined the 21st Century - or rather I've caught up with the rest of my generation. There are some ways I'm sure I won't be joining it... I don't need OnStar as much as a key map for instance, I'm not going to swap technology for common sense.

See this story:

NPR - October 24, 2006 · Just because your automatic navigation system tells you to crash the car, you do not have to do it! A German man's navigation system told him to "turn right, now," even though he wasn't to the corner yet. He crashed into a toilet stall. Also this month, a driver encountered a "closed for construction" sign. But he chose to believe his navigation system, which showed the road was open. Nobody was injured when he crashed into a pile of sand.

But I'm not Amish either. So the new "technologies" I'm playing with:

1) MySpace - It is kind of like playing six degrees of separation. I've found a really random group of people, "because the whole world is on MySpace" but at the same time not everyone is using an e-mail address or an alias I'd recognize. Plus some of these relationship links are old and my high school and college were really big so "Mike" might be Michael Callaway but it also might be well... Michael Swartz. So you'll have to find me.

2) NETFLIX (pronounced Net Flicks) - This was spurred on by needing to find a copy of The Fourth Wiseman and having the Blockbusters near be not near me, small, and less than helpful. Besides I've got two weeks coming up where I just need to be amused... and it is cheaper than cable.

In other news despair.com has Build Your Own Calendars this year. I found a cheaper one that had already been built... so If I'm your Secret Santa you'll be the envy of everyone in the school. Cause every teacher needs one of those.

That and Dilbert as a desktop:

And don't tell me it is insulting to my students. The students that "get it" know what I'm talking about.

1 comment:

bs king said...

NETFLIX Kate, NETFLIX. Stop trying to add in traditional spelling where there is none!!!