Sunday, December 10, 2006

Teaching in a broken world

In light of the most recent post I'm aware that some of my faithful readers might think I need to find a new profession. To that I have several replies:

1) How many teachers do you have in HIGH school that were all sugar plums and moxie? I can't remember any that didn't get walked over all the time. Do you really think that that works? My kindergarten teacher friends are a different lot than I. They deal with snot, I don't. Besides it gives me an excuse to do things that are irrational "because I'm mean" can be an explanation for all my sadistic tendencies. You'd rather me take them out on them than you, right?

2) I have a small cult following of fragile young women who aren't aware of how mean I am to others. By fragile I mean some of the strongest girls I've ever met. I don't know if I could raise two kids in high school, if I could have lived as an orphan in Liberia, if I could face the world after witnessing massacres in Bosnia, and I don't know if I could get along taking care of my little brothers and sister while my parents worked three jobs. They seem to be attached to me somehow and it wouldn't be easy to walk away from them to some kind of desk job.

3) I'm in grad school for library science because I felt called to do it. Yeah that was past tense. Don't get me wrong I like it... and I don't want to just drop it because I feel kinda distant from it right now, I had a light load last semester and it didn't take much out of me. Didn't have to think much either.

4) Option #3 of many more, go to seminary. I don't want to say I feel like I'm being called into ministry because I think all of us are. Nor am I saying I want to go or what I'd do with it, but I promised I'd pray about it. Since I can't exactly come at the whole thing unbiased I'd like you all to pray too.

No comments: