Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Mock Chaos

Those fans that followed me from xanga know that I *try* to run a Model UN program at my school. Running extra curricular programs at my school is a little like well, herding cats. I've herded cats before - and I've been a cat.

We had to go on hiatus because half my club couldn't be there during Ramadan. Half the interested students can't be there because they have to take the bus to get home. Anyway...

So the solution... do it in class. It will fit. Teach parliamentary proceedures in government class and trade-offs and costs in economics. Run a few practices, assign the paper - and voila, Model UN.

So then then I have to teach parliamentary proceedures to high school students who have the attention spans of oh look a birdie. There also was some cool party on Saturday that "you should have been at Miss." It is the quince where the kids were shot I'll say "no thanks" and if it wasn't I'll say "no thanks" and really prefer that they didn't tell me which bars sold to minors and tell me that DJ Screw dying of a codine/alcohol overdose is "ironic." Anyone out there think it is OK to tell a teacher that?

Anyway... I'm running a mock Congress. I wrote it, which means I already want to fix it... but I've cast my representatives with only stereotypical information about their city/state. I told them things like people from Buffalo want money for snow plows and San Francisco would be interested in earthquake prevention (which they seemed to think was possible). I told them ALL the cities in the US will want their own "Big Dig..." it is a great idea. Then they have to get their parties platform to match. Then they have to get money from special interests. The American Dairy Council, the NRA, MADD, ACLU, or the AARP. Then they have to get reelected... you know after they have to raise taxes to pay for all the pork.

I can't tell if they are interested or if the whole thing is simply simply chaos. I mean, it is Congress right - they have to run around and get support and get the class to vote for all their bills and... well... How could I tell? And why can't that kid write legibly?????? Punk.

I need to bring my meat tenderizing gavel.

Is there a lawyer store somewhere or something?

No comments: