Saturday, January 12, 2008

The first week

First week of the job has come and gone.  Took awhile to actually start working but I like it so far.  At the moment I'm doing massive data entry, but nothing as simple as cut and paste.  By the end of it all (guaranteed six months, should know better in a few more months) I should have used virtually everything I learned in SLIS.  So yeah. 

In contrast to shared trays of lasagna and "the magic supply closet" I encountered at one Lee High School things are much better.  They took us out to lunch the first day.  A nice place called Benjy's.  I had a dish I couldn't pronounce.  Nice huh?  Then the faculty club the next day.  Very nice.  They handed us an Office Max closet and said "order what you need."  So I got pens and staplers that will actually work.  It is the little things.  Oh and health care is cheaper and better.  Retirement is better.  I can use the rec center if I want and attend arts events (most) free.  And oh yeah... I can get overtime. 

I don't think I'll have the same antics that I did when I was teaching though.  Patent management just doesn't lend itself to it.  But if anyone can explain to me what a Buckyball is and why I care (I know it is tiny and I SHOULD care) I'd appreciate it.  Buckytubes too, though I suspect they are related to "balls" And while we're at it, why do we call them "Bucky"?

As a side effect of this whole new stage of life I hit the "my life is out of sorts and out of routine" problems that always come with new things.  Flat tire Friday morning, making that premium I paid to AAA worth it.  I also bought a new clock radio.  I'd given my classroom one away last spring so I went shopping today.  Something about a biology lab just needs background noise.  Anyway for $25 I got an automatic time-set clock with an MP3/Aux audio jack.  My office mate is going to love me but at least she's better than the narcoleptic I shared a closet with once.

Prairie Home Companion is over.  I'm going to go figure out what I'm eating for dinner.  Peace out yo. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So they decided to name the new molecule buckminsterfullerene (these days shortened to fullerene or buckyball). Chemists write it as C60.
As well as carbon spheres in many sizes, scientists have discovered tubes of carbon. These nanotubes, or buckytubes, are created in a similar way to buckyballs: by passing an electric current between graphite rods. Turns out we make buckyballs everytime we burn a candle!